[Lisa_seminaires] [Tea Talk] Marco Pedersoli, May 26, AA5340, 13:45

Dzmitry Bahdanau dimabgv at gmail.com
Mar 23 Mai 08:36:43 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Our next speaker is Marco Pedersoli who is a professor at the École de
technologie supérieure of Montreal (ETS). Hope to see many of you there!

*Title:* Areas of Attention for Image Captioning

*Abstract: *We propose “Areas of Attention”, a novel attention-based model
for automatic image captioning.
Our approachmodels the dependencies between image regions, caption words,
and the state of an RNN language model, using three
pairwise interactions. In contrast to previous attention-based approaches
that associate image regions only to the
RNN state, our method allows a direct association between caption words and
image regions. During training these
associations are inferred from image-level captions, akin to
weakly-supervised object detector training. These associ-
ations help to improve captioning by localizing the corresponding regions
during testing. We also propose and com-
pare different ways of generating attention areas: CNN activation grids,
object proposals, and spatial transformers
nets applied in a convolutional fashion. Spatial transformers give the best
results. They allow for image specific at-
tention areas, and can be trained jointly with the rest of the network. Our
attention mechanism and spatial transformer
attention areas together yield state-of-the-art results on the MSCOCO
dataset.

*Bio:* Marco Pedersoli obtained his Ph.D. from the Autonomous University Of
Barcelona (june 2012, with distinction and best thesis award) on
Hierarchical Multi-resolution Detection of objects in images. He completed
a postdoctoral fellowship at the KU Leuven, where he has developed several
innovative approaches for object detection, action classification and pose
estimation based on weakly-supervised methods. In September 2015 he moved
to INRIA-Grenoble, where he has developed new techniques for the automatic
description and understanding of images. From February 2017 he is assistant
professor at the École de technologie supérieure of Montreal. He has
published more than 20 articles in peer-reviewed internationals journals
and top peer-reviewed conferences in computer vision.

Dima