[Lisa_seminaires] Jörn Diedrichsen on "The brain’s GPU? In search of the cerebellum’s universal computation", March 10, 13:30, AA6214

Junyoung Chung elecegg at gmail.com
Mar 7 Mar 04:00:36 EST 2017

Hi all,

the next tea talk will be given by a guest speaker, Jörn Diedrichsen from
UWO.
Same place, same time: March 10, at 13:30-14:30, room AA6214.
Hope to see many of you there!

Title: The brain’s GPU? In search of the cerebellum’s universal computation

Abstract: The cerebellum exhibits a highly specialized and uniform neuronal
circuitry, which likely evolved to solve very specific problems in
sensory-motor control. In the human brain, the cerebellar circuitry has
dramatically expanded, and it contributes here to virtually every possible
cognitive function. But what is this elusive computation that the
cerebellum contributes to cortical processing? I will show some insights
from our research on motor control and learning, which shows that the
cerebellum is critically involved in prediction and fast error-based
learning. I will then talk about the first steps that we have recently
taken to test computational theories about the function of the cerebellum
across different cognitive domains using functional imaging.

Bio: Jörn Diedrichsen is a Wester Research Chair in the Brain and Mind
Institute at Western University, and Professor of Statistics and Computer
Science. His laboratory studies the cerebellar function and motor control
and motor learning in the human brain. He has also developed a number of
novel multivariate analysis techniques for functional imaging data.

Best,
--Junyoung