[Lisa_seminaires] [TeaTalk] Jackie Cheung, June 13, Z-209, 14:00

Dzmitry Bahdanau dimabgv at gmail.com
Mar 6 Juin 08:42:20 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Our next tea-talk will be given by Jackie C. K. Cheung, who is an assistant
professor at McGill university. It will take place at Z-209 (Pavillon
Claire-McNicoll), on June 13, at 14:00. Hope you to see you in great
numbers!

*Please note the unusual day and time of the talk!*

*Title: *Leveraging External Knowledge for Machine Comprehension of Rare
Entities

*Abstract: *Thanks to the "long tail" of natural language, entities that
only appear a handful of times in a training corpus account for the vast
majority of entities overall. Standard techniques for training word
embeddings such as word2vec and GloVe do not scale well to modelling these
entities, because they depend on having many entity or word occurrences for
reliable word co-occurrence statistics. We propose to use external
knowledge in the form of short entity definitions as a source of
information to train entity representations. We describe experiments in two
settings. In the first, we present a simple scheme for initializing entity
representations for knowledge base completion. In the second, we introduce
a new machine comprehension dataset, the Wikilinks Rare Entities data set,
and an accompanying entity cloze task which requires predicting rare named
entities in context. We describe a hierarchical double encoder model which
reads a text passage and an entity definition in order to predict which
entity fits in context. Our model substantially outperforms a number of
strong baselines which do not utilize entity definitions, demonstrating the
impact of external knowledge in making inferences about rare entities.

*Bio:* Jackie CK Cheung is an assistant professor in the School of Computer
Science at McGill University. He received his Ph.D. at the University of
Toronto, and was awarded a Facebook Fellowship for his doctoral research.
He conducts research in computational semantics and natural language
generation, with a focus on topics such as inducing event structure from
distributional semantics, and automatic summarization. His work is funded
by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC),
and the Fonds de recherche du Québec - Nature et technologies (FRQNT).

Dima