[Lisa_seminaires] Yacine Jernite, August 4, AA6214, 13:45

Junyoung Chung elecegg at gmail.com
Lun 31 Juil 20:34:10 EDT 2017

Hi all,

our next speaker is Yacine Jernite from NYU.
The talk will be at AA6214 on August 4, 13:45.

Title: Learning Representations of Language from Text

Abstract:
Learning good general-purpose representations of written language can be
useful for a wide range of applications, but there are still a number of
open questions in the field, from model architecture to learning
strategies. In this talk, we start by briefly going over these questions,
then review some recent work related to two of them: the choice of the
reading level for text data and of a learning objective for unsupervised
training. First, we describe two recent architectures which look at
sub-word information to build word and text representations. Then,
considering the prevalence of language modeling as an unsupervised
objective, we propose an adaptive hierarchical approach which speeds up
learning while avoiding some of the pitfalls of comparable methods.
Finally, we propose an alternative discriminative learning objective for
sentence representation systems based on discourse modeling.

Bio:
Yacine is currently pursuing a PhD at NYU in David Sontag's Clinical
Machine Learning group, where his research interests include graphical
models, applying machine learning to medical data, and language
understanding. His current focus is on using unsupervised methods to take
advantage of the vast amounts of freely available text data when learning
language representation systems. Yacine holds a Diplome d'ingenieur from
Ecole Polytechnique (2011) and an M.Sc. in Machine Learning from ENS Cachan
(2012).

Best,
--Junyoung