[Lisa_seminaires] [TeaTalk] James Wright, July 28, AA6214, 13:45

Dzmitry Bahdanau dimabgv at gmail.com
Mer 26 Juil 10:10:15 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Our next speaker is James Wright from Microsoft Research NYC. The talk will
take place on July 28, at AA6214, 13:45. Hope to see many of there!

Title:
Deep Learning for Predicting Human Strategic Behavior

Abstract:
Predicting the behavior of human participants in strategic settings is an
important problem in many domains.  Most existing work either assumes that
participants are perfectly rational, or attempts to directly model each
participant's cognitive processes based on insights from cognitive
psychology and experimental economics.  In this work, we present an
alternative, a deep learning approach that automatically performs cognitive
modeling without relying on such expert knowledge.   We introduce a novel
architecture that allows a single network to generalize across different
input and output dimensions by using matrix units rather than scalar units,
and show that its performance significantly outperforms that of the
previous state of the art, which relies on expert-constructed features.

Bio:
James Wright's research focuses on problems at the intersection of
economics, behavioral modeling, and machine learning, with a focus on
modeling and predicting human behavior in strategic settings.  Prior to
joining Microsoft Research NYC, he completed a Ph.D. in Computer Science at
the University of British Columbia, where he was advised by Kevin
Leyton-Brown.

Dima