[Lisa_seminaires] Fwd: Colloque DIRO, lundi 20 février, Xiaodan Zhu (NRC et U Ottawa)

Yoshua Bengio yoshua.umontreal at gmail.com
Jeu 16 Fév 21:40:14 EST 2017

Yet another job talk on Monday.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pierre McKenzie <mckenzie at iro.umontreal.ca>
Date: 2017-02-16 20:03 GMT-05:00
Subject: Colloque DIRO, lundi 20 février, Xiaodan Zhu (NRC et U Ottawa)
To: seminaires at iro.umontreal.ca

*Deep Learning for Meaning in Natural Language*

par

* Xiaodan Zhu *

 University of Ottawa

*Lundi 20 février, 15:30-16:30*, *Salle 6214*, Pavillon André-Aisenstadt

    Université de Montréal, 2920 Chemin de la Tour

Café avant 15:00-15:30

* Cette conférence sera donnée en anglais.*

*Résumé:*

Text and speech are ubiquitous in our life and are essentially part of the
big data we are facing. Developing machine learning models to understand
and analyze such data should continue to have significant values. However,
modeling human language involves many hard problems in artificial
intelligence and is very challenging.
this talk I will present our recent deep learning models for learning and
representing the meaning of natural language, spanning from words to
documents, which involve representing the basic components (e.g., words),
compositionality (representing sentences), and document-level modeling. I
will present some state-of-the-art results we have achieved on a range of
problems and discuss the limitations of the current models. In addition, I
would like to briefly discuss some important applications in medical
information extraction, social media analysis, and spoken document
understanding.

*Biographie:*

Xiaodan Zhu is a Researcher of National Research Council Canada and an
Adjunct Professor of EECS, University of Ottawa. His research interests
include natural language processing, deep learning, social media
analysis, medical information extraction, and spoken language
understanding. Xiaodan received his Ph.D. from the Department of Computer
Science at the University of Toronto in 2010 and M.S. from the Department
of Computer Science of Tsinghua University in 2000. Xiaodan has research
experience with IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Google, Intel, and
Microsoft.