[Lisa_seminaires] [Talk] Prof. Wulfram Gerstner on "Synaptic Plasticity to Learning Rules: an approach of theoretical neuroscience"

Junyoung Chung elecegg at gmail.com
Lun 21 Nov 11:53:00 EST 2016

Hi everyone,

tomorrow we will have a guest tutorial on neuroscience by Prof. Wulfram
Gerstner. Here is the detail!

Who:    Wulfram Gerstner
When:  Nov. 22 (Tuesday) 3PM-5PM
Where: AA6214

Title: Synaptic Plasticity to Learning Rules: an approach of theoretical
neuroscience

Abstract: In this tutorial I will show what type of constraints
experimental data set for biologically plausible learning rules and why
inside these constraints we (as theoretical neuroscientists) have a lot of
freedom to think about learning rules that are functionally relevant in
learning paradigms. Taking examples from unsupervised learning,
reinforcement learning, and surprise modulated learning I will point out
potential links (and differences) to machine learning approaches.

Bio: Wulfram Gerstner is Director of the Laboratory of Computational
Neuroscience LCN at the EPFL. He studied physics at the universities of
Tubingen and Munich and received a PhD from the Technical University of
Munich. His research in computational neuroscience concentrates on models
of spiking neurons and spike-timing dependent plasticity, on the problem of
neuronal coding in single neurons and populations, as well as on the role
of spatial representation for navigation of rat-like autonomous agents. He
currently has a joint appointment at the School of Life Sciences and the
School of Computer and Communications Sciences at the EPFL. He teaches
courses for Physicists, Computer Scientists, Mathematicians, and Life
Scientists.

Best Regards,

--Junyoung