[Lisa_seminaires] Tea talk Wednesday 2nd April @13:00 AA3195 by Chris Pal

Razvan Pascanu r.pascanu at gmail.com
Sam 29 Mar 21:34:12 EDT 2014

Hi all,

 This Wednesday, same place AA3195, same time 13:00, we have the following
tea talk scheduled:

Talk by : Christopher Pal

Title: A New Smooth Approximation for Learning with the Zero One Loss with
a Probabilistic Interpretation

We examine a new form of smooth approximation to the zero one loss which
can be viewed as learning using a reformulation of the classical functional
form of logistic regression. Our approach is based on using the posterior
mean of a novel generalized Beta-Bernoulli formulation. This leads to a
generalized logistic function that approximates the zero one loss, but
retains a probabilistic formulation. We show how the underlying functional
form has a number of interesting properties. The approach is also easily
generalized to kernel logistic regression and beyond. We present
experiments in which we learn such models using a combination of gradient
descent and coordinate descent using localized grid search so as to escape
from local minima. Our experiments are indicating that that this
formulation can improve upon the performance of canonical models such as
classical logistic regression and support vector machines and is more
robust to outliers. This work is with Md. Kamrul Hasan and he may present
the second half of the talk.

I hope to see many of you there,
Best,
Razvan