[Lisa_seminaires] Presentation this Friday 11:00 in AA3195 by Christian Gagné

Razvan Pascanu r.pascanu at gmail.com
Mar 18 Mar 10:58:52 EDT 2014

Hi all,

 This Friday, 11:00 we have a presentation by Christian Gagné from
Universite Laval.
The room is AA3195. I hope to see many of you there.

Title:
Evolutionary Computation and Machine Learning for the Engineering of
Intelligent Systems

Abstract:
Evolutionary computation consists in black-box population-based
optimization techniques inspired by natural evolution. These metaheuristics
are quite successful at solving problems hard to tackle with conventional
methods, for example when dealing with strongly non convex multimodal
functions, multiple objectives, or solutions represented a complex data
structures (e.g., graphs, trees, symbolic expressions). Although
evolutionary computation is often considered as a close sibling to machine
learning, it is often badly understood and dismissed by researchers in the
field, mostly given its ad hoc nature and the impression it lacks strong
theoretical foundations. Such considerations are unfortunate, as many
criticisms are not taking into account latest developments of the field,
nor considering the use of powerful tools provided by evolutionary
computation for tackling some of the difficult optimization problems of
machine learning.

In my talk, I will present the field of evolutionary computation, with a
particular emphasis on how it can be used in the context of machine
learning. I will also present some methods of evolutionary computing that
are relying on machine learning. This will be illustrated by various works
done in my group at Université Laval, where we are applying in synergy
machine learning and evolutionary computation techniques for solving
complex engineering problems.

Presenter:
Christian Gagné
Professeur agrégé

Laboratoire de vision et systèmes numériques
Département de génie électrique et de génie informatique
Université Laval, Québec (Québec), Canada
http://vision.gel.ulaval.ca/~cgagne
christian.gagne at gel.ulaval.ca