[Lisa_seminaires] CIFAR machine learning seminar Thurs. June 23rd @ 14h30, room TBA

Guillaume Desjardins guillaume.desjardins at gmail.com
Ven 17 Juin 18:07:09 EDT 2011

I am delighted to announce the following talk by Aapo Hyvarinen, which
will take place on Thursday June 23rd at 14h30. The talk will be held
at the University of Montreal, with the exact room to be announced at
a later date. Hope to see you there !

Title: Unsupervised machine learning for analysis of EEG and MEG at rest
Speaker: Aapo Hyvarinen

Abstract: Recently, a lot of brain imaging has concentrated on
analyzing brain activity at rest, i.e. when the subject is not doing
anything particular and does not receive specific stimulation. When
using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), such analysis is
typically done by independent component analysis (ICA). However, there
has not been very much work on analysing resting activity measured by
EEG or MEG. We have recently developed various methods to analyse
EEG/MEG data at rest. First, we have created new variants of ICA to
more completely exploit the statistical structure of EEG/MEG data.
Second, we have developed tests of the statistical significance of the
independent components. Third, we have a framework for analysis of
causality (connectivity) which uses the non-Gaussianity of the data
and hopefully it can be used to analyse the connectivity of the
independent components.