[Lisa_seminaires] UdeM-McGill-MITACS machine learning seminar Tues Feb. 19, 10:00am, PAA 3195

Hugo Larochelle larocheh at iro.umontreal.ca
Mar 12 Fév 15:15:02 EST 2008

Next week's seminar (see http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/article.php3?
id_article=107&lang=en):

Modelling Image Patches With
A Directed Hierarchy Of Markov Random Fields

by Simon Osindero,
Idilia

Location: Pavillon André-Aisenstadt (UdeM), room 3195
Time: February 19th 2008, 10:00am

I will describe an efficient learning procedure for a type of
multilayer generative model that combines the best aspects of Markov
Random Fields (MRF’s) and deep, directed belief nets (DBN’s). In
particular, I will consider hierarchies in which each hidden layer
has its own MRF whose energy function is modulated by the top-down
directed connections from the layer above.

Our proposed algorithm allows these generative models to be learned
one layer at a time, and when learning is complete we are able to use
a fast and simple inference procedure for computing a good
approximation to the posterior distribution on all of the hidden layers.

I will present preliminary results of our approach applied to an
image-patch dataset, and will show that this type of model is good at
capturing the statistics of patches of natural scenes. This is joint
work with Geoff Hinton.