[Lisa_seminaires] [Fwd: Math-Neuro lecture on Oct 4th: Basal Ganglia and Reinforcement Learning]

Yoshua Bengio bengioy at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Oct 1 14:08:20 EDT 2007

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: 	Math-Neuro lecture on Oct 4th: Basal Ganglia and Reinforcement
Learning
Date: 	Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:55:15 -0400
De: 	Paul Cisek <paul.cisek at umontreal.ca>
Répondre à :: 	Paul Cisek <paul.cisek at umontreal.ca>

Hello everyone,

This Thursday, we will have a Math-Neuro meeting in which Francois
Rivest will give us a presentation on models of reinforcement learning.
Here is the abstract:

"Over the past 10 years, a set of computationnel models coming from
reinforcement learning have gained popularity in modeling of
dopaminergic neurons phasic signal (Montague, Schultz, Daw, & others).
These models allow making a number of hypotheses about possible roles of
the basal ganglia (especially striatum) and about local plasticity. In
this presentation, I will introduce the actor-critic temporal-difference
learning family of algorithm that has been used to model the phasic
dopaminergic neuron signal. I will concentrate on explaining how this
algorithm works with minimal mathematics, and as many examples as
possible.  I hope to generate some discussion with people working on
dopaminergic or basal ganglia neurons."

Our meeting will take place in room 1120 of Pavillon Paul-Desmarais
(2960 chemin de la tour) from 13h30 to 15h00 on Thursday, October 4th.

Hope to see you there,
Paul

P.S. Trevor, Louis-Eric, Peter: I thought you and/or your students might
be interested as well.

Paul Cisek, Ph.D.
Department of physiology, room 4141
University of Montreal