[gambit-list] SRFI 14 and data structures in gambit/lib/gambit/char/char#.scm

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Sun May 21 17:39:45 EDT 2023

On 5/21/23 9:05 AM, Marc Feeley wrote:
> Is it guaranteed by the Unicode standard that those properties are mutually exclusive with the other properties (letter, digit, etc)?

I'm just learning about Unicode, but it appears that yes, the General
Categories of characters are disjoint:

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr44/#General_Category_Values

For future proofing, it would be good to encode each category on its
own, in such a way that related categories are grouped together
numerically.  Perhaps the lowercase and uppercase letters, which need
case-changing tables, should still be last in the encoding.

Then we can encode the SRFI 14 character sets in perhaps an imperfect
encoding (although with fast membership tests from your Unicode table)
and worry about optimizations later.

Brad