[gambit-list] A Lisp that runs on Wasm?

Jeff Read bitwize at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 15:21:18 EDT 2023

Mar 18, 2023 15:15:38 Winston W <winston at nitidbit.com>:

> Hi Gambit List—
>
> I'm searching for a way to write Lisp and have it run on a web browser as WASM, i.e. avoiding JS. I was hoping Gambit Scheme might be the key, by compiling Lisp —> (Gambit compiler) —> C —> (Clang) —> wasm. But I'm encountering problems. My current issue is the 'gambit.h' file checks for lots of things including `setjmp` which doesn't exist in WASM. Below is my test situation. Does anybody think this endeavor of compiling Gambit -> wasm can work? Or are there any other ways to write Lisp and execute it as Wasm?

Google has released an experimental Scheme to WASM compiler called Schism:

https://github.com/schism-lang/schism

It's not feature-complete, though.

If you like, feel free to pester Marc to add a WASM back end to Gambit, or better yet, start contributing one yourself. Such a feature will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

--Jeff