[gambit-list] Gambit on Arm

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Jul 27 15:30:06 EDT 2023

The Gambit system is, in its delivered form, essentially just portable C code. I have build Gambit on RPI in the past with no problem, except perhaps the long build time due to the small amount of RAM (you may also have to disable some C level optimizations, for example avoid the --enable-single-host configure option, so that the C compiler does not choke on large files).

Once built, the Gambit compiler will generate C code, so you don’t have to worry about the processor type. There are experimental ARM and RISC-V code generators, but I haven’t used them in a while so they may have suffered from bitrot. In any case you don’t need those backends in the typical workflow.

Marc