[gambit-list] developing with gambit

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 22:52:01 EDT 2023

Hi all,

I am a new gambit user. I am working through some scheme texts and
gambit fits the bill nicely. I am curious as to how most folks develop
in gambit. Do you use a terminal and text editor, emacs, or what? So
far, I have been using terminal and kate, but it would be nice to have
some integration. I was thinking along the lines of what a primitive ide
provides where you edit your whatever.scm and then execute it or parts
of it on demand from the editor.

I'm a vi guy, so I don't know much about emacs, but folks seem to like
that environment, especially when it comes to lisp, et. al. If you're
using emacs, and think that's the way to go, please give me a clue where
to start. I can M-x run-scheme and it pulls up gambit in a scheme
inferior mode (whatever that is) and it'll let me run gambit in the
window, but that doesn't seem any more useful than doing it in terminal.

My current .emacs contains the single line:
(load (expand-file-name "~/gambit.el"))

where the gambit.el file came from the source I used to build gambit.

If you don't think emacs is the way to go, what do you use? :).

Thanks,

Will