[gambit-list] Gambit universal library in the browser

Duy Nguyen pclouds at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 07:35:13 EDT 2020

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 6:25 PM Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Although 31 MB is quite big, it is still usable for local development.  The compilation and linking with gsc for the small example takes 1/10 of a second and the browser starts the app from the local file in a fraction of a second, so the development loop is quite pleasant.
>
> For use on the web the generated JavaScript code could be compressed with various methods.  Marc-André Bélanger has experimented with a code compressor (post-processing of the .js code) that reduces the size by a factor of 3.  And when gzip compression is also enabled in the web server the final network transfer is about 5% of the original size.  So this would represent a decent 1.5 MB network transfer *without* the smart linker.

Ah right. I forgot about compression. 1.5 MB is a very reasonable number.

> If you are interested in working on minimizing the generated JavaScript code please let me know and I can guide you through the relevant parts of the universal backend.

I'm afraid I'm not that capable. I used to use Gambit maybe ten years
ago but stopped for some reason, now I don't remember a thing. Gambit
looks quite attractive again :) I'll start using it more and hopefully
will be able to contribute something back soon.
--
Duy