[gambit-list] GCC Optimization setting

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 23:38:27 EST 2020

So as to better package gambit in nixpkgs, I tried the benchmarks at
https://github.com/ecraven/r7rs-benchmarks with Gambit 4.9.3 on my x64
machine.

Often -O1 was slightly faster than -O2, sometimes the opposite, with
the difference usually less than 10% either way, but up to 17% in
favor of -O1 and up to 43% in favor of -O2. However, -Os most often
beat both -O1 and -O2, so that's what I chose in the end for NixOS.

Note that AFAICT, the benchmark compare the compiled code, not the
compilation time. I admit I failed to check the compilation times. I
assume -Os is slightly faster than -O2 and somewhat slower than -O1,
but would have to check on Gambit-generated code.

PS: I also assume clang is still desperately slower than GCC in the
code it produces for Gambit.

Those who do not understand Lisp are condemned to not even being able
to reinvent it poorly.  — Faré, without apologies to Henry Spencer.