[gambit-list] How to properly allocate foreign object?

Jörg F. Wittenberger Joerg.Wittenberger at softeyes.net
Sat Apr 11 06:16:01 EDT 2020

Thanks for your reply.

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 15:49:15 -0400
Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> There are a few issues with your code.  First of all, you should use
> “___return(…);” to return a result (the assignment to
> ___result_voidstar is deprecated).

OK.  Is there some documentation wrt. these things?

> An alternative would be to create your own type with a release
> function, but that is probably overkill in this situation.

Interesting: you consider a type with release function to be the
overkill?  I had the impression that the use of wills would be the
overly complex way.

Nevertheless:  In your suggestion you still use malloc to allocate.  I
do see situations where I'd tend to do this too.  Still I wonder if it
was cheaper/faster to allocate on the Scheme heap.  And if so, how?

Jörg