[gambit-list] output ports created with ##open-predefined not being garbage collected

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Apr 10 16:08:36 EDT 2020

> On Apr 10, 2020, at 2:19 PM, Dimitris Vyzovitis <vyzo at hackzen.org> wrote:
>
> You might be interested in the gerbil socket library a spin; there is support for UNIX domain sockets through raw devices
>
> -- vyzo

It would be nice if that socket library was a Gambit module so that other Gambit users can use it!  :-)

In fact it would be great to have a way for (most) Gerbil modules to be directly accessible from pure Gambit code with an (import (gerbil xxx)) or something like that.  That would lessen the community split between Gerbil and pure Gambit users.

Something to consider is to turn Gerbil into a Gambit module so it can be installed directly using Gambit’s package manager.  This is already the model for Termite Scheme which was initially designed as a separate language but is now a Gambit module.  I’ve also approached Guillaume Cartier to turn JazzScheme into a Gambit module.  Note that I’m not talking about a builtin module, but rather a module hosted on its own git repository and installable with “gsi -install github.com/user/my-great-lang”.

If anyone is interested in contributing towards this goal, please let me know!