[gambit-list] Steps to bootstrap Git master from Gambit 4.9.3

Lassi Kortela lassi at lassi.io
Mon Apr 6 12:20:03 EDT 2020

> I tried it out to check performance, and I’m quite surprized that the docker Gambit is over 3 times slower than the “native” Gambit:

> 3x is a “big deal”! Do you have an explanation for this?  Is this typical of docker apps?

Interesting. No obvious explanation.

Docker processes should share the same Linux kernel as host processes,
they just have a different view of the process tree and file system than
host processes. On that account, speed ought to be roughly on par with
host processes.

The container is built with:
./configure --enable-single-host --enable-multiple-threaded-vms

Are you running Docker on Linux or Mac? I think Mac docker internally
runs a virtualized Linux instance in the background and runs containers
on that. It's easy to imagine that would be somewhat slower than native
MacOS programs.