[gambit-list] Whole-program tree-shake & trampolinefreeness by amalgamating runtime&program, possible?

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Oct 19 15:40:29 EDT 2019

I’m having a hard time parsing your question… so here is my best stab…

> On Oct 19, 2019, at 3:03 PM, Adam <adam.mlmb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Marc,
>
> An interesting question came up when discussing treeshaked Gerbil static builds:
>
> One could get a C-compiled program
>
>  * that is optimally and maximally tree-shaked hence omitting inclusion in the binary of evidently unused code, and
>
>  * with optimal performance in the respect of having no trampoline calls at all,

Gambit has a 2-level trampoline.  There’s a “global” trampoline in the ___trampoline function in lib/setup.c, but also a “local” trampoline in each host C function.  To completely do away with the local trampoline the implementation of the ___JUMP macro in include/gambit.h must be changed to not check if the destination of the jump is the same host C function.

Note that this means it will be impossible to load dynamically loadable object files (.oN files) because then there would be more than one host C function...

> if one would just append together Gambit's runtime's .scm files with one's program's .scm files, into one gigantic total.scm file, which has (declare (optimize-dead-definitions)) and is built with --enable-single-host .
>
> To take this conversation one step further, I like to ask, is this practically possible?
>
> I'd really guess it is. If so, your hints about how I can actually do this would be much appreciated.

Approach #1:

- Combine all the lib/_*.scm files together, plus your application code.
- Note that the lib/_kernel.scm file (which is where execution starts) has to be tweaked so that it doesn’t call ##load-vm at the end.
- Then compile the combined code with gsc, telling gsc that there is an empty runtime library to link with.

This is the rough picture of what has to be done.  YMWV… there are lots of details to get right.

Approach #2:

- Wait until I get around implementing the -whole-program gsc option (it has been on my TODO because whole program compilation becomes much easier with a module system and a modular RTS)…

> My program consists of the three vanilla Gambit .scm files a.scm b.scm c.scm .
>
> I guess very roughly this will be a tweak of
>
> echo "(declare (optimize-dead-definitions))"  > total.scm
> cat gambit/lib/*.scm a.scm b.scm c.scm >> total.scm
> gsc -e '(compile-file-to-target "total.scm")' (aka gsc -c total.scm)
> cat gambit/lib/os_*.c total.c > c_total.c
> gcc -o mystaticexe -Igambit/include/ c_total.c
>
> Here especially, any more C files than gambit/lib/os_*.c needed, and should the Gambit runtime .c and .scm files be appended in a particular order if so which?

Yes the order matters.  Definitions of procedures usually have to come before the calls to those procedures (except when the block declaration is used).