[gambit-list] Vyzo, how do we use Gerbil for incremental dev, it's unclear, please clarify how use |import| for auto-recompile&auto-reimport

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Oct 16 18:08:36 EDT 2019

> On Oct 16, 2019, at 4:54 PM, Adam <adam.mlmb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Followup:
>
> I discussed the |import| question below with Vyzo and he says he'll reimplement a new flavor of |reload| which will have this described function.
>
> There is a |reload| already (defined in https://github.com/vyzo/gerbil/blob/master/src/std/interactive.ss ) but
>  * it only reimports one given module, not its dependency modules, and in that gist also
>  * does not import added dependencies (it doesn't touch the dependency graph at all).
>
> So Vyzo needs to make an extended |reload| that does that too.

Then please make sure that Gerbil's reload implementation calls

(##remove-registered-module module-ref)

which is defined in lib/_kernel.scm .  It removes a module from the registered modules so that the next time it is imported with a (##demand-module …) or (##load-module …) it will be reloaded.  Note that .o1 files can only be reloaded if they are recompiled.