[gambit-list] R6RS

Lassi Kortela lassi at lassi.io
Sat Dec 21 16:02:55 EST 2019

> b) Those which retrofitted R6RS into an existing implementation but did
> not contribute: Guile.
>
> c) Those written after R6RS that (I think) were concerned to implement
> the latest standard: Ikarus/Vicare, Iron, Loko, Mosh, Sagittarius,
> Ypsilon.  In addition, Biwa implements only the base library and a
> handful of others.
>
> From which I think we may conclude that retrofitting R6RS is not a
> popular thing to do.

R6RS is quite a big language and there are already so many good
implementations of it that new ones might not have much to add. Same
situation as with Common Lisp. R7RS is such a small language that all
kinds of niche implementations are interesting and useful to explore.

Curiously, I can't think of a single R6RS->C compiler. There are
interpreters and a few native-code compilers, but no compile-via-C.