[gambit-list] Problems with Gambit OpenSSL support

Timo Myyrä timo.myyra at bittivirhe.fi
Wed Sep 19 02:05:57 EDT 2018

Hi,

I've encountered two different issues with Gambits OpenSSL use.

First issue is that it doesn't seem to work with LibreSSL. I tested this on my
OpenBSD-current and Gambit compiles just fine but tls support doesn't seem to work:
$ gsi
Gambit v4.9.0

> (make-tls-context)
*** ERROR IN (console)@1.1 --
(make-tls-context)
1>

Any methods to get further details on what error happened here? LibreSSL should
have API compatibility with OpenSSL 1.0.1. Which API the Gambit uses? I asked
around on voidlinux IRC and same issue seems to be happening there as
well. Void Linux also uses LibreSSL.

Another issue I noticed that the Gambit fails to compile at all when its
configured with '--enable-openssl' on system using OpenSSL 1.1.0. I tested it
with Slackware64-current and it broke on compilation failing to find some SSL
context structure. eems there are API changes in later OpenSSL versions which
Gambit can't handle currently. Could the docs be updated so that those include
which OpenSSL versions should work.

Timo