[gambit-list] .git in tarballs

Chris Vine vine35792468 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 05:43:53 EST 2018

On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 21:29:16 -0500
Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > On Nov 20, 2018, at 8:44 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is that the only difference? (Where is the difference documented apart
> > from "for developers"?)
>
> From INSTALL.txt:
>
>    Note that releases come in two flavors.  The "developer" release,
>    which has a "-devel" suffix in its name, contains the complete git
>    history.  It is a snapshot of the Gambit repository at a particular
>    point in time.  The "plain" release, without the "-devel" suffix in
>    its name, does not contain the git history and is much more compact
>    than the developer release.
>
> To create the -devel tarball I use “make dist-devel”.  The normal tarball is created with “make dist”.

As an aside, there is a link to the -devel tarball on the "main" page of
http://gambitscheme.org/ , but none to the plain release.  If you
follow the link to the "distributions" page, that contains no reference
to the 4.9 releases at all.  To get at the 4.9.1 tarballs you have to
go from the "distributions" link to one of the other gambit releases, go
down to its parent page and navigate back up again.

So the "plain" package is quite hard to find at present.

Chris