[gambit-list] Marc, (not interrupts-enabled) ramifications and safe practices? Also (not safe)

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Nov 7 21:51:47 EST 2018

With the declaration

(declare (interrupts-enabled))

, which is the default, the Gambit compiler will insert “polling instructions” throughout the generated code and guarantees that no more than a fixed small constant stack space will be allocated between the execution of successive polling instructions.

Polling instructions check for a multitude of events:

- stack close to overflowing (causing a new stack section to be allocated or the GC triggered)
- interprocessor request to start a GC (or other operation requiring all processors to synchronize)
- heartbeat timer interrupt (to notify the green thread scheduler it is time to switch threads)
- ctrl-C interrupt (causing a REPL to be started if enabled)

With the declaration

(declare (not interrupts-enabled))

the Gambit compiler does not generate the polling instructions.  This makes the code slightly faster (no interrupt checks are done) and the code in the scope of that declaration can’t be interrupted.  This can be useful to implement a cheap critical section (no green thread context switch possible, or ctrl-C).  However, the code in the scope of that declaration should not do a large number of non-tail calls otherwise the current stack section might overflow and corrupt memory.  So “normal users” should not be using this declaration.

The bug in thread-receive that was fixed by commit https://github.com/gambit/gambit/commit/674ddff913cdfb7b3e73c6f78f3f034521982dc3 was that interrupts were disabled at a point where stack space was allocated, causing a stack overflow in some cases.  A polling instruction was added to make sure this doesn’t happen.

Marc