[gambit-list] Gambit Clang C/C++ status and compiler benchmarks?

Adam adam.mlmb at gmail.com
Sat May 5 05:54:35 EDT 2018

Hi list,

So I think I figured out the answer myself.

First, the previous benchmark that I recalled having read, is the "8)
Performance of GCC and CLANG when compiling Gambit" section in Gambit's
install.txt file (
https://github.com/gambit/gambit/blob/edac3c75f0d93f4f56a39c2b90621511f096dd72/INSTALL.txt#L577
).

The essence here is that Clang 2.6, 2.7 and 2.8 wouldn't even compile
Gambit, and 2.9-3.1 would compile Gambit but be fairly slow.

A lot has happened since Clang 3.1, which is the last Clang version covered
by install.txt today. The latest version today is 6.0. Ref.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clang#Status_history . Clang is now the
default C/C++/Objective-C compiler choice in a handful operating systems,
for AMD64 and some more architectures.

Clang's language feature set is good, ref.
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support ,
https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html .

And Clang's speed is decent, recent benchmarks tend to find that Clang and
GCC have a speed difference that's in the ballpark +-30%, up or down
depending on benchmark, e.g. ref.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3187414/clang-vs-gcc-which-produces-better-binaries#15043814
.

The term "LLVM" only denotes that Clang has an internal intermediary
language form, and the term LLVM has no other meaning in the direction of
executable bytecode like Java JIT VM:s. I.e. Clang is only a native
C/C++/Obj-C compiler. A list of the Clang/LLVM projects is on the main page
at http://www.llvm.org/ .

I have not tested yet but I do expect Clang to run Gambit stably and at a
totally-okay speed.

Adam