[gambit-list] The monster that killed gcc

Bradley Lucier lucier at math.purdue.edu
Thu Mar 22 16:12:08 EDT 2018

On 03/19/2018 02:56 PM, Dimitris Vyzovitis wrote:
> My gambit is configured with  --enable-single-host --enable-c-opt
> --enable-gcc-opts.

My experience is that any optimization level above -O1, and any
optimization options not included in -O1, can result in significant CPU
time and/or memory usage on Gambit-generated C files with
--enable-single-host, and the GCC developers generally just say "don't
do that" in response (and I don't really blame them).

Still, one is more likely to get a problem like this fixed if one is
willing to work with the GCC developers (give test cases, compile gcc to
report internal memory usage and report results, follow up, etc.).

So my suggestion is to keep --enable-single-host (otherwise you're going
through the trampoline for each function call), keep the inlining-limit
default (or set it to at least 134 or 150 so data accessors and setters
are inlined) and get rid of --enable-c-opt and --enable-gcc-opts.

Brad