[gambit-list] Re --enable-auto-forcing: Scope, how/where implemented, how build (with) it properly?

Adam adam.mlmb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 23:04:43 EDT 2017

> > On Jun 11, 2017, at 5:08 AM, Adam <adam.mlmb at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Possibly the "macro-force-vars", which is used all over the runtime and
> compiler, would have something to do with this, but I don't find its
> definition anywhere.
> >

> In _gambit#.scm:
>
> (macro-define-syntax macro-force-vars
>   (lambda (stx)
>     (syntax-case stx ()
>       ((_ vars expr)
>        (if (let* ((co
>                    (##global-var-ref
>                     (##make-global-var '##compilation-options)))
>                   (comp-opts
>                    (if (##unbound? co) '() co)))
>              (assq 'force comp-opts))
>
>            (syntax-case (datum->syntax
>                          #'vars
>                          (map (lambda (x) `(,x (##force ,x)))
>                               (syntax->list #'vars)))
>                ()
>              (bindings #'(let bindings expr)))
>
>            #'expr)))))

Ah right,
https://github.com/gambit/gambit/blob/9c3dcbdc322a10673370c0880696ba131144251d/lib/_gambit%23.scm#L316
, and used to be a define-macro,
https://github.com/gambit/gambit/blob/29103e6a29b8fbbf7d6fc772a344b814be3f1c1a/lib/_gambit%23.scm#L492
, and all the rest of the code is meticulously padded with its use.

This also sheds a bit of light on why the slot containing the promise is
not replaced with the forced value. Maybe that would be possible in some
situations though.. When |x| is a symbol, it could be |set!| with the
forced value?

That would cover standard variable slots and not typedef, vector, pair etc.
slots though, I guess I'd need to dig in a bit more to understand how this
one actually works out. If you have any spontaneous ideas, feel free to
share.

Any idea where in the sources fundamental primitives like |+| , |if| , |or|
autoforce?