[gambit-list] Gambit version for medical apps?

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Jul 13 11:04:11 EDT 2016

What I would like is for someone (or a group) to step up to act as the maintainer of these stable branches of Gambit.

The maintainer’s initial rôle would be to identify the version that seems the most appropriate (v4.7.?) and to create a git branch of that version.  The most recent set of unit-tests should then be added to that branch.

Then, there is the more tedious process of identifying which commits since that version are bug fixes that should be added to the stable branch.  There are roughly 1000 commits since v4.7.0 .  Going through each of these commits would have to be done to see if it fixes an issue that affects the stable branch.  The github issues page could be used to quickly identify the most obvious issues (for example https://github.com/gambit/gambit/issues/181).

The maintainer could also manage a branch created from a recent version of Gambit.  That would have the advantage that fewer commits would have to be analyzed and more features would be available.  However, it would require a higher level of involvement from users to validate the correctness of this branch in their use cases (I’m thinking of the UBC group among others).

I think those most interested in the creation of a stable branch should be the decision makers here, as they are the main beneficiaries of this effort, and they also need to be actively involved in the maintenance (as the maintainer or users of the stable branch).

Marc