[gambit-list] JavaScript backend

Blake McBride blake at mcbride.name
Fri Jan 1 11:44:34 EST 2016

Just some opinions.

asmjs.org defines a portable subset that allows JS platforms to compile
into very fast code.  Targeting that subset, and within their spec, is
probably a good idea.

JS has, and is becoming increasingly, a very, very important platform.
With ajax and rest services, code increasingly independent from the
back-end is being developed.  So, in a very important sense, JS has become
its own platform, just like X86, and X86_64, along with Linux, Windows,
Mac, etc.

Many apps consist of two major parts:  the back-end processing, and the
front-end human interface.  While one can write the back-end processing in
any of dozens of languages targeting X86 or a VM, and the OS, there is
really only one target for the other half - the human interface - and that
is JS.

While many languages are now targeting the JS platform (I am using the word
"platform" to mean X86, X86_64, either, plus the OS) including, believe it
or not, Smalltalk, there are few that can, IMO, be used in a real world
application for several reasons.  But, these issues will likely be resolved
soon.

With respect, Gambit, at least in the past, was in many ways another toy
solution - one with a functioning "Hello world" application but missing
important features that make it usable in a real-world situation.  I would
love to be a part of that solution, but alas, life doesn't offer me that
level of freedom.  I am only capable of using a system that is reportedly
working, reporting bugs, making small adjustments, and providing feedback.
Regardless of my attitude, preferences, and intentions, I cannot provide
more.

Look at node (JS for the back-end) and its vastly increasing popularity.
Since developers are being forced to use JS on the front-end, it's bleeding
over to the back-end.  I think solutions that take JS seriously at this
stage will prosper greatly.

Now, having said all that, I would love to see Gambit target JS as a
high-priority, first-class target.  If that were the case, I would be happy
to contribute what I stated above.

Thanks!

Blake McBride