[gambit-list] Brad, just to get up to date about GCC memory consumption and other GCC bugs re Gambit

Adam adam.mlmb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 16:49:56 EST 2016

Hi Brad,

About the GCC bug that sometimes GCC could take gigabytes of RAM (20-75GB)
for certain Gambit files,

I re-read your previous article at
http://webmail.iro.umontreal.ca/pipermail/gambit-list/2009-February/003159.html
.

(Btw the mentioning of an addition to
http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/wiki/index.php/Configure_script_options , I
don't know if I see that addition there, you could doublecheck.)

You mention there that the problem GCC versions are 4.2.* and 4.3.* only,
and that "-fno-move-loop-invariants" fixes it.

(I recall that you also reported the issue to the GCC development team and
that in response they implemented a "max loops" check internally that fixed
it on.. later GCC version, something like this.)

I just wanted to check with you now, that the above was all there has been
to GCC's skyrocketing-RAM-consumption issue. So, if I just add
CFLAGS="-fno-move-loop-invariants" to my ordinary "./configure
--enable-single-host" etc. , no GCC/G++ version will skyrocket?

Are there any more gotchas to GCC use for various versions, except for that
"-O2" produces broken code in some particular version?

Thanks!