[gambit-list] Not Emacs

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Aug 16 08:10:21 EDT 2016

Here is what I had to say about this recently on the Gambit gitter chatroom:

The NotEmacs and GambitREPL iOS applications use iCloud to automatically sync files between all devices (iPhone, iPad, iMac, etc) linked to the iCloud account. Files in the / root directory in NotEmacs will appear in the directory /Users/<username>/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~NotEmacs/Documents on MacOS devices (the sync is automatic and may take a minute or two). The sync is bidirectional (the file can be created/modified either on an iOS or MacOS device and will appear at the corresponding directory on all devices).

Alternatively, on any machine on which the Gambit system builds, you can use the grd program that comes with the system (in the contrib/GambitREPL directory). Do "cd contrib/GambitREPL;make grd" to create the program. In NotEmacs, do M-x run_scheme and then evaluate (repl-server #f) to start a REPL server. Then do ./grd to get a list of the available commands. "./grd scan" will give you a list of the devices you can access. Then "./grd ls" will list the files in the device's / directory. A "./grd push foo" will transfer the local file foo to the device. A "./grd pull foo" will transfer the file foo from the device to the local directory.

The iCloud integration is minimal... It has to be this way to conform to Apple rules (it is against the rules to be able to download executable code to an iOS device other than the app store... remember that NotEmacs contains the Gambit interpreter). Perhaps the rules have been relaxed but I don't want to change this for fear of tedious iterations through the app approval process).

Feel free however to modify NotEmacs to suit your needs and upload it to your device (no app approval process). The code is in contrib/GambitREPL .

Marc