[gambit-list] Questions & documentation on the universal backend

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Aug 14 08:26:33 EDT 2016

Yes that is mostly correct.  However I would recommend the following commands:

for JavaScript:

$ cd lib
$ make _gambit.js
$ cd ..
$ gsc/gsc -:=. -warnings -target js code.scm
$ gsc/gsc -:=. -warnings -target js -link -l lib/_gambit.js code.js
$ cat code_.js code.js lib/_gambit.js > p.js
$ node p.js

for Python:

$ cd lib
$ make _gambit.py
$ cd ..
$ gsc/gsc -:=. -warnings -target python code.scm
$ gsc/gsc -:=. -warnings -target python -link -l lib/_gambit.py code.py
$ cat code_.py code.py lib/_gambit.py > p.py
$ python p.py

Note that there was a small ordering problem in the generated code (now fixed) that prevented the Python code to run properly.

The universal backend is a WIP but close to a “final product”.  Remaining on the TODO:

1) changes to the Gambit library (lib/*.scm) and the runtime system to support more of the Gambit system features, in particular non-blocking I/O which is needed to support Gambit’s green threads
2) integration to the main installation process (to build and install _gambit.js, _gambit.py, etc in the Gambit installation directory)
3) documentation (!)

The universal backend is definitely usable without #1 (some users have built commercial products with it) as long as the application uses ##inline-host-* to interface with hand written code to do the user-interface or I/O.

Here is a simple example for using ##inline-host-* in JavaScript:

(declare (extended-bindings))

(##inline-host-declaration "

function rand(n) {
  return Math.floor(n * Math.random());