[gambit-list] Fw: Re: Gambit-C Version needs updating

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 03:54:30 EST 2015

Duke and maybe Jackson,

So https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=677709 says
Ubuntu/Debian has had Gambit split up in four packages: gambc, libgambc4,
libgambc4-dev, gambc-doc .

I don't see why this would be a low-demand package, except that for the
reason that compiling it is so simple there's little to no reason to do it
yourself :)

I essentially don't see why not exactly the same
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/download/gambit/v4.*/source/gambc-v4_*-devel.tgz
<http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/download/gambit/v4.7/source/gambc-v4_7_0-devel.tgz>
=> Ubuntu package script as used with 4.2.8 wouldn't work with 4.7.0.

Was this done manually from scratch for each package update by the former
maintainer and he left with the knowledge?

Since 4.2.8, nothing changed in how Gambit is linked or built, and
essentially nothing changed with regard to configure script arguments.

Historically there was one single potential issue, which was that Gambit
doesn't work smoothly with some GCC versions in the 4.2 and 4.3 series,
though with all >= 4.6 all is fine, and I guess that's what Ubuntu uses
nowadays anyhow, anyhow so consideration was needed on that point.

Anyhow to sum up from my end, my five cents to this conversation is that
supposedly the packaging task is trivial.

Mikael