[gambit-list] Documentation generator for Scheme ?

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Nov 21 09:36:06 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 04:40:02PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 03:20:41PM -0500, Eric Parent wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to get documentation being generated automatically based on our
> > Scheme source code. I'm used to work with Doxygen and Sphinx (
> > http://sphinx-doc.org/index.html) to generate documentation from C++, C,
> > Python, ... source code files.
> >
> > Is there something equivalent for Scheme ?
>
> No idea.  I'd be surprised if there isn't.
>
> But the best documentation I've everseen produced by a documentation
> generator is the Trestle Reference Manual, accessible as
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/Compaq-DEC/SRC-RR-68.pdf
>
> It kind of sets a standard to aim for.

This isn't gambit, but...

Racket (formerly PLT Scheme) has a text formatter called Scribble.
It appears to be a different concrete syntax for Scheme -- the file is
basically text to be laid out properly interrupted by @ signs that can
be followed by arious codes, including complete Scheme expressions.
In those expressions you can use Schee as an ordinary programming
language, but you also have access to a slew of text-formatting
functions.

Their packaging system has, I believe, some conventions about how to
embed Scribble code amongst the normal Scheme, so that some program
they have can extract some documentation.

I don't know the details, and I don't know if it will satisfy your
needs, but it is worth a look.  You might be able to use Racket to
extract documentation from your Gambit code.

It may be worth porting some of this stuff to Gambit.

-- hendrik