[gambit-list] no more unicode characters?

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri May 16 08:12:50 EDT 2014

This comment makes me wonder if ISO-8859-1 is the right default for ttys. Perhaps it would be less surprising if UTF-8 was the default.

Does anyone know of a way to autodetect the tty’s character encoding?  It would be nice if xterm could be forced to send a BOM so that Gambit would autodetect the character encoding (if ttys were started with the ___CHAR_ENCODING_UTF_FALLBACK_ISO_8859_1 character encoding mode). But I see no way of doing this after a quick look at xterm’s source code.

There is a certain consistency in using ISO-8859-1 as the default for all I/O ports, so that may still be the “least surprising” default.

Thougths about this?

Marc