[gambit-list] Some high level questions about open-tcp-client

Rob Kellock sales at creditscore.co.nz
Mon Jul 7 22:15:29 EDT 2014

Thanks Jeff,

Still gotta ask though, if I use a loadable module, will it block? I had
a bad experience a number of years ago where I developed an application
using Zope, a Python web server, calling out to this same C database
socket library using a Python-C bridge called a *.pyd  Everything was
going swimmingly until I put it into production and discovered that the
Python-C bridge blocked Zope. Problem there was the Python GIL, there
was no work around and the project had to be cancelled. Ever since then
I've been very wary of threads.

Here too in Gambit aren't the threads green threads rather than OS
threads? I don't understand continuations yet, so I'm unsure whether
they are being used somehow in Gambit to keep the green threads from
being blocked, but I am concerned that as soon as the threads try to
communicate with the outside world, Gambit will block.

The TCP server, uses htonl, htons and ntohl, ntohs on the C struct, so I
guess that covers the endianess etc you mentioned.

Cheers,

Rob.