[gambit-list] orphan status

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Tue Jan 7 09:27:57 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 04:47:38PM +1100, Jackson Doak wrote:
> I'm trying to adopt it, but we need a way to fully enable versioned shlibs
> before it's fit for debian. I have 4.2.9 sitting in debian mentors waiting
> for upload, but any more needs a new patch.

I see.  Technical issues *and* bureaucracy.

Those shlibs are, presumaby, shared libraries, which have to have some
kind of version numbers attached to them, so that different programs,
which may be linked with different versions, can seek out their own
mates at run time.

Presumably the details involve changes in the gambit build system.

Debian does have stringent conditions on their packages, don't they?

Still, I don't see why they should consider gambc orphaned if there's
someone activey trying to be the maintainier.

Though it's probably unlikely because I have no experience building
Debian packages, let me know if I can help in some way.  Perhaps I
could test-install on an 1386 jessie system or an AMD64 wheezy.

-- hendrik