[gambit-list] sin/cos problems with Xcode

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Feb 3 12:29:01 EST 2014

On Feb 3, 2014, at 10:28 AM, Bradley Lucier <lucier at math.purdue.edu> wrote:

> On 02/03/2014 09:58 AM, Marc Feeley wrote:
>> Sigh… while preparing the next release of Gambit I have worked around compilation issues with MSVC (missing functions in the C math library) but am now encountering issues with Xcode not compiling calls to sin/cos correctly (see error below).
>>
>> So the next release is being delayed until I can find a fix.
>>
>> Marc
>>

>> gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -Wl,-syslibroot,/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk -arch x86_64 -m64 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.8.sdk -arch x86_64 -m64   -Wno-unused -Wno-write-strings -O1 -fno-math-errno -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -fno-common    -I"../include"  -o "gsi"    _gsi.o _gsi_.o "../lib/libgambc.a"  libgambcgsi.a
>> Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
>>  "___sincos_stret", referenced from:
>>      ____H__20___num in libgambc.a(_num.o)
>> ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
>> clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
>
> Just out of curiosity, does it work with gcc on Mac OS X?
>
> Brad

Yes with GNU gcc (but not LLVM gcc).  However, my build script uses the LLVM gcc because that is what I can expect end-users to have installed on their machine (when they install Xcode).  So using GNU gcc for building the prebuilt OS X Gambit is not an option.  This is unfortunate because the performance is not as good as when GNU gcc is used.