[gambit-list] Gambit and event-based systems

Álvaro Castro-Castilla alvaro.castro.castilla at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 07:21:35 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Estevo <euccastro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yay!
>
> A caveat: I've never touched iOS, but some event-based systems will not
> call back unless an event for which you have registered is triggered.  In
> games, where you redraw the whole screen many times per second this is not
> a problem, since the 'draw' callbacks should give plenty of opportunity for
> Scheme land code to run.  But in a more static GUI application this might
> not be the case.  It could be that the REPL freezes until the user
> interacts with the app window in some way.  Hence the suggestion for timer
> or idle handlers.

Yes, that's a good observation :)
In SDL, specially for the drawing callback, it will always be the case that
you are constantly re-entering the Scheme code. But you are right, for
static GUIs you'll need a callback.

Anyway, all this was for nothing, since SDL seems to work now as normally,
giving you full control of the loop. This is how it should be, as it makes
the code way more portable between all supported platforms.