[gambit-list] Compiling programs that use syntax-case macros

Panicz Maciej Godek godek.maciek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 15:00:04 EDT 2013

2013/9/26 Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca>

> On 2013-09-26, at 11:34 AM, Caolan McMahon <caolan.mcmahon at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > gsc -:s filename.scm
> >
> > and for interpreter:
> >
> > gsi -:s filename.scm
> >
> > ...recently had to figure this out myself :)
>
> This only contributes to my belief that noone reads documentation
> anymore...
>

> http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/doc/gambit-c.html#index-define_002dsyntax
>
> Well, that's not entirely true -- I've read a lot of documentation before
I dared to post. I've googled for many variations of "gambit scheme define
macros" and "gambit scheme syntax case", and it either directed me
here http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/doc/gambit-c.html (without
pointing to the particuar node -- which might be significant, as the
document consists of 21 chapters), or here
http://prael.wordpress.com/2008/06/29/r5rs-define-syntax-macros-in-gambit-scheme/
(which doesn't mention the case for the compiler), or to some mailing
list archives (which were difficult to digest)

The node you've pointed to is in section 6.3 "Miscellaneous extensions" (of
chapter "Scheme extensions"), together with e.g. "vector-copy". Since
syntax-rules are described in R5RS, I wouldn't ever think that it might be
regarded as an extension to Scheme. Furthermore, I don't know what could be
the reason for making the macro feature switched off by default, so it
would never come to my mind that it must be switched on explicitly.

Perhaps if the table of contents of the documentation was a little bit more
detailed, or if the documentation was generated as one node per page (so
that google could index it with more precision), the chances of finding a
particular information would increase.

Anyway, I'm really glad that I wrote, because you've helped me so quickly,
and so I'm grateful :)

Thanks!
M.