[gambit-list] More work on compiled syntax and modules

Matt Hastie matthastie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 11:45:20 EDT 2013

On Oct 22, 2013, at 11:17 PM, Mikael <mikael.rcv at gmail.com> wrote:

> no need of changing Gambit's behavior with regard to what directories it outputs

As you suggest, a possible implementation is to create a wrapper executable, perhaps scsc, that can provide the new behavior. This has been the historic practice, as done by black hole. To follow this paradigm without any gambit alteration would necessitate independent shipment of a custom psyntax73 with additional hooks for visit/revisit. The proposed would be a separate implementation that is independent of -:s and the shipped syntax-case.scm functionality. Any mutation to psyntax73 with respect to the current build-visit-only and build-revisit-only definitions is likely to regress existing -:s functionality, just as my existing patch of emitting $sc-put-cte has done.

Reflecting on the directory .o1 file proposal overnight, I think that the most minimal repl implementation would use namespaces to wrap load and compile-file. A command-line gsc is more difficult to provide without alteration, however, as the implementation of compiler-batch-mode is captured in the lexical scope of ##main-gsi/gsc. It thus cannot be modified by a prospective compiler client e.g. syntax-case-postlude.scm. I'm sure there are other hook points that would need to be accessible within _gsclib.scm (and possibly other files) too. Perhaps the best way forward is to identify these hooks, maintain existing gambit semantics, and ship a syntax-case-postlude that exercises the new hook functionality.