[gambit-list] -target js

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Nov 13 16:20:20 EST 2013

On Nov 12, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Marc Feeley <feeley at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2013, at 12:39 PM, Francois Magnan <magnan at categoricaldesign.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to use the -target js mode of Gambit to compile a scheme program and run in in a browser. I read on this list that the functionality is still incomplete but I wonder if there are plans to make it work in the near future.
>>
>> I was able to compile trivial programs but my first try at a “real life” example is failing. It seems the generated javascript is missing some library functions like that the generated code is calling like:
>>
>> Gambit_Symbol.stringToSymbol()
>> Gambit_Char.fxToChar()
>> Gambit_String.jsstringToString()
>>>>
>> Is there a more complete version somewhere that defines those gambit structures in javascript?
>> I used Gambit-4.7.0 for my tests.
>
> Could you try with the most recent version on the Gambit repo?  The JS backend is not complete, but it has progressed substantially about a month ago.  My plan is for the JS backend to be sufficiently complete to compile the standard Gambit runtime system.  Because it is not there yet, currently, you have to write your own versions of some of the standard runtime library functions (append, member, etc).
>
> Marc

Actually, I should have asked if you did a "make from-scratch" (which is the new way to bootstrap Gambit from the github repo).  So you should be doing:

% git clone https://github.com/feeley/gambit.git
% make -j8 from-scratch

Once this is done, you will have a current Gambit to test things out with.