[gambit-list] gambit-objc v0.1.0 released

Jason Felice jason.m.felice at gmail.com
Sat May 18 13:12:40 EDT 2013

Hi!

I've just released gambit-objc 0.1.0.  This is the "it has the basics, and
the implementation is complete enough for real projects" release.

* It gives you access to Objective-C class objects.  The easiest way is:

  (import-classes (NSString NSDictionary))

  after which, you can refer to them.

* It dynamically dispatches Objective-C methods:

  (: NSString stringWithUTF8String: "hello, world")

* It supports marshaling of native Scheme objects to C/Objective-C types
for parameter and return values, including structures, selectors, all
integral types, and UTF8 strings.  It wraps Objective-C objects with
foreign.

* It has a objc-repl, an extended version of gsi which supports
square-brace syntax, like so:

  [NSString stringWithUTF8String: "Hello, world!"]

You'll find a minimal sample Cocoa app in the distribution as well.

There are many cool things that can be added.  I'd love to collaborate,
help people use it, and otherwise enable its adoption.

I'm really happy with how elegant it ended up (after a couple partial
implementations were scrapped).  My next focus will be making it easy to
boot on iOS and bring into iOS projects.

-Jason