[gambit-list] (Ought to be counted as solved) Re: [...] reproducible pita bug: SIGSEGV on every ordinary termination (, q (exit) etc.) on Gambit-current on OpenBSD-current w at least g++ 4.7.2 & 4.6.3

Mikael mikael.rcv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 15:56:40 EDT 2013

Looks like this was because of some weird version incompatibility issue
between libc or libstdc++ versions.

I tried to track it down with ldd and didn't find it in a clear way,
though, since with certain libc and libstdc++ choices this error goes away,
it should plausibly have been in the first place because of version
incompatibility.

Generally on OBSD only the default GCC version is used, and use of G++ is
not so much discussed, in particular not non-bundled versions of it, so
there seem to be no clarification to get on this topic out there also.

I read on a blog somewhere something like that if you have two two
libstdc++ versions at the same time, it can be that the exception handling
helper code gets loaded from another one than your application was compiled
for and that you get undefined behavior and crashes that way. Don't
remember right now if that was relevant to this though right now I'd think
so.

For now I relate to it as solved anyhow as for the OBSD versions I saw
there's at least one G++ + GCC package that works well for compiling and
executing Gambit.

Thanks,
Mikael

2013/1/12 Mikael