[gambit-list] Build tool, directory structure

Marc Feeley feeley at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Mar 1 15:46:25 EST 2013

On 2013-03-01, at 2:13 PM, Fred Weigel <fred.weigel at zylog.ca> wrote:

> Jason (and Marc)
>
> What I tend to do is to put the Scheme source in a single directory, with a Makefile.
>
> The Makefile dependency is -scm -> .o1
>
> The rule deletes any .o1 (with rm -f to avoid errors on a clean build). Note that the issue
> is the CHANGING of the target (Marc? is it possible to FORCE an output as .o?).

Yes...

   gsc -o example.o1 example.scm

> Anyway,
> forcing an output file to .o DOESN'T work:
>
> [fred at dejah blib]$ cp amb.o1 amb.o
> [fred at dejah blib]$ gsi
> Gambit v4.6.6
>
> > (load "amb.o")
> *** ERROR IN "amb.o"@1.5 -- Illegal character: #\x02
> 1>

This doesn't work because "load" uses the file extension to determine if it is loading a compiled file (extension .oN), or source code.  Moreover, the name can't be changed after compilation, because the C entry point of the compiled code is derived from the file name.  The Gambit runtime uses dlopen (or equivalent) where it must know the C function name of the entry point to get a pointer to the correct function.

> A simple change, designed around Makefiles, instead of interactive use.
>
> It should be possible to collect the .o (well, .o1) files into a library (and, using the unix/linux ar tool
> it is). BUT, this is particularly annoying. Basically, assume that I have n .o1 files as
> part of a library:
>
> ar q new.o1 *.o1
>
> should (and does) collect the object files into an archive, but we can't do
> anything with it --
>
> [fred at dejah blib]$ gsi
> Gambit v4.6.6
>
> > (load "new.o1")
> *** WARNING -- Could not find C function: "____20_new_2e_o1"
> *** ERROR IN (console)@1.1 -- /export/home/fred/Projects/blib/new.o1: invalid ELF header
> (load "new.o1")
> 1>
>
> Gambit doesn't handle ar archives! (only ELF objects). This would be a simple enhancement
> (and is easily butchered in, if load() is overriden). "ar t" will give the members, Each can be
> easily extracted, and then loaded independently. I haven't yet butchered it though...
>
> This change would seriously help ME :) because I can then easily distribute applications
> (as the exe and an ar archive with the .o1 files, instead of 50 to 100 .o1 files).

I don't see why you don't simply distribute your app as a tar/zip file which expands into a directory structure where all the .o1 files are in a subdirectory.  And then just load things from that subdirectory.

Wouldn't it be simpler (for the end user) to statically link all of your compiled files into a single executable?  That's what I usually do, in part because it avoids installation problems related to paths.  In that case the makefile needs to:

- compile L.scm to L.c for each library file L.scm  (i.e. gsc -c L.scm)
- compile the main program M.scm to M.c  (i.e. gsc -c M.scm)
- link with gsc all the L.c files and M.c file to M_.c file  (i.e. gsc -link L1.c L2.c L3.c M.c)
- compile L.c to L.o for each library file L.scm  (i.e. gcc -Igambit_install_dir/include -c L.c)
- compile M.c to M.o and M_.c to M_.o
- link with the C compiler all the L.o files with M.o and M_.o to produce M.exe

> For library delivery (in the Makefile) I build links from a ~~lib (or subdirectory) to the build
> directory (filename#.scm and filename.o1 are linked, for access by gsi). I then manually
> load the required components (usually via an include() in the source file).
>
> All this works great for MY personal machine, but it is still a serious bear to try to distribute
> binary applications.
>
> So, to recap:
>
> - gsi should be able to load ar archives as well as elf

What syntax would you suggest?

    (load "path/archive(module.o1)")

> - gsc should be able to compile to a fixed extension

It does already.

> - gsi shouldn't barf on an attempted load of ".o"

Why?  What if the user used ".o" as an extension for their source files?  Should gsi barf on ".obj" also?  And ".ss" and ".SCM", etc?

> As an "advanced" feature, a gsc option to scan source, looking for (load) (##load)
> (include) (##include) and building Makefile dependencies (I use a hack for this, using
> sed). Since these can be built by (define-macro), it would be useful to have this done
> by the compiler itself. This doesn't help for dynamically constructed (load), which
> can be delayed until run-time, and my solution especially falls down in this case.
> Doing the generation at compile-time would eliminate this problem for me.

Here's an implementation of what you want.  It keeps a table of all the arguments to "load" and could be easily extended to "include", etc.

(define-macro (eval-at-expansion-time . exprs)
  (eval (cons 'begin exprs))
  '(begin))

(eval-at-expansion-time

 (define table-of-loaded-files (make-table))

 (##add-exit-job!
  (lambda ()
    (pretty-print
     (cons 'loaded-files:
           (map car (table->list table-of-loaded-files)))))))

(define load-orig load)

(define-macro (load file)
  (table-set! table-of-loaded-files file #t)
  `(load-orig ,file))

> - gsc option to generate dependencies for Makefiles

This is a bit too platform specific (why a makefile, and not scons, cmake, etc).  I would prefer if this was a tool external to gsc, perhaps using information obtained by gsc.