[gambit-list] Thoughts on Scheme

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Jan 4 23:24:35 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 09:34:31PM -0500, Jason Felice wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This might not be the right place for this, but I've failed to solicit
> useful (or any) opinions elsewhere and I imagine some people here would be
> interested in it.
>
> I drafted a post called "A Critique on the Language Scheme".  The draft is
> here:
>
> https://gist.github.com/4430394

car and cdr are *not* leftovers from the PDP-11.  They're a lot older
than that.  They stand for 'construct address reference' and 'construct
decrement reference'.  'address' and 'decrement were two fields of the
36-bit word of the IBM 7090 series of machines, dating back to the early
60's -- the machines on which Lisp 1.5 was implemented.

-- hendrik