[gambit-list] Make the default heap size 1MB

Adrien Piérard pierarda at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Jan 3 20:52:28 EST 2013

> Another interesting question: is there an API on the main OSes to get the cache sizes?  We could make the default minimum heap size dependent on the cache size.

For windows, it seems there's an API:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/150294/how-to-programmatically-get-the-cpu-cache-page-size-in-c

For linux, it seems that libproccpuinfo would allow you to read
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cache/index2/size properly, and thus get
the information as well.

I currently don't have a FreeBSD machine to check for this OS what to
do, but I assume it's accessible with the `sysctl` tool, and that an
API exists for it as well.

P!

--
Français, English, 日本語, 한국어